Thursday, March 31, 2005

Grilling the Philippine Collegian

I have been resisting the temptation to join in the fray of those arguing for or against Juan Paolo E. Colet's recent win in the selection for the next Philippine Collegian Editor-in-Chief. I do not want it to be misinterpreted that I am posting on behalf of the University Student Council (USC) of Manila. I'm writing this on a personal basis, and perhaps in my own capacity as an alumnus of UP Diliman (BS MBB 2003).

On the side, let it be known that since I am an Upsilonian, and JP Colet is my brod, it would be easy to point a finger at me and instantly label me as being in cahoots with Mr. Colet. If anyone would like to name-call me or my fraternity on this issue of the Collegian, go ahead, do so. I won't mind because it's a free world.

For a backgrounder please read news articles from the Philippine Daily Inquirer such as the one that first brought the issue out into the national open (Collegian's new editor in hot seat) and the next report that clarified things from the perspective of the Board of Judges (Board of judges upholds new Collegian editor in chief's win). I have also requested JP for a copy of his winning editorial piece that I shall post here.

For the arguments thrown, please read through The Philippine Collegian thread of Peyups.

The comments in my mind are simple and straightforward. Allow me to enumerate:

1.) The student paper has been unfairly reduced to a pedestal by which ideologies are enshrined;

2.) It is apparent that the now-old adage that Filipinos never know how to accept a loss fair and square is at play;

3.) We are a government of laws and not of men (quote by RP Chief Justice Davide). The Collegian selection process is governed by a set of rules. Allegations of inconsistencies should be pursued at the proper legal forum; and

4.) The issue should not be muddled by conjuring horrifying images well before Mr. Colet is given the chance to take on the challenge of running the Collegian.

I remember well that once upon a time, those who ranted against the Collegian's bias towards a particular ideology bordering on the line keeping Stand-UP (the ultra-left student political party from Diliman) from the paper were replied to by a challenge: to take the editorial exams and run the paper. Furthermore, those in apparent defense of the incumbent Collegian's ideological bias stood firm in saying that the paper's independence allows them to keep their stand.

Apparently Mr. Colet has taken on that challenge himself. He took the examination, won (fair and square, depending on one's personal opinion - don't fire me on this because I would say so), and now has the potential to either do justice to the Collegian's critics or to shame them and thus vindicate the incumbent Collegian.

Why won't we reserve our nasty comments (most of which can be found at the Peyups thread) until the right time when there already is a questionable action of the Editor-in-Chief? If indeed there are irregularities in his appointment, then by all means please pursue the legal remedies.

Until then and aside from the yet unproven allegations of my fraternity's manipulation of the Collegian (please, don't give us too much omnipotence than what we realistically have or even do not have), what's all the fuss about?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home